INFORMATION ABOUT THE COVID-19 CORONAVIRUS:
Colonial Healthcare is monitoring the current outbreak of coronavirus known as COVID-19. New cases of COVID-19 continue to be confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) throughout the U.S. It is believed that COVID-19 can be spread person-to-person via close contact with individuals who are currently symptomatic with the disease.
How Is it Spread?
- Through the air by coughing and sneezing
- Close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- Touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes
Who Is at Risk?
- Travelers to and from certain areas are at increased risk – as are anyone in close personal contact with those who are ill
- Current risk to the general public is low
- See travel guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html
Steps for Prevention
Avoid close contact
Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick, too.
Stay home when you are sick
If possible, stay home from work, school, and running errands when you are sick. This will help prevent spreading your illness to others.
Cover your mouth and nose
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick. Flu and other serious respiratory illnesses, like respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), whooping cough, and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), are spread by coughing, sneezing, or unclean hands.
Clean your hands
Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth
Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
Practice good health habits
Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work, or school– especially when someone is ill. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.
For the most up-to-date information and recommendations on COVID-19: